For many families expecting a baby, the biggest challenge is often overcoming the fear of childbirth. Sometimes, inspiration and empowering words can help you have the beautiful, calm and intimate birth experience that you want.
Here are some of my favorite birth quotes and affirmations. Use the ones that feel right for you and your birth.
“Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood. “ - Marie Curie
“The same movements that get the baby in, get the baby out.” -From Birthing From Within
“The whole point of woman-centered birth is the knowledge that a woman is the birth power source. She may need, and deserve, help, but in essence, she always had, currently has, and will have the power.” -Heather McCue
“When you have come to the edge of all light that you know and are about to drop off into the darkness of the unknown, FAITH is knowing one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly” - Patrick Overton
“Let me let you in on a little secret, your cervix is not a crystal ball. It cannot predict when you will start labor. It cannot predict if you will deliver before, after or even on your due date. The cervix can do many wonderful things, but let’s not give the cervix more credit than it is due. A cervix cannot read the future.” -Maria Pokluda
“Muscles send messages to each other. Clenched fists, a tight mouth, a furrowed brow, all send signals to the birth-passage muscles, the very ones that need to be loosened. Opening up to relax these upper-body parts relaxes the lower ones.” – William and Martha Sears
“The knowledge of how to give birth without outside interventions lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on the acceptance of the process.” ~Suzanne Arms
“There is power that comes to women when they give birth. They don’t ask for it, it simply invades them. Accumulates like clouds on the horizon and passes through, carrying the child with it.” – Sheryl Feldman
“When I say painless, please understand, I don’t mean you will not feel anything. What you will feel is a lot of pressure; you will feel the might of creation move through you. Pain, however, is associated with something gone wrong. Childbirth is a lot of hard work, and the sensations that accompany it are very strong, but there is nothing wrong with labor.” – Giuditta Tornetta
“Birth is an opportunity to transcend. To rise above what we are accustomed to, reach deeper inside ourselves than we are familiar with, and to see not only what we are truly made of, but the strength we can access in and through birth.” – Marcie Macari
“So the question remains. Is childbirth painful? Yes. It can be, along with a thousand amazing sensations for which we have yet to find adequate language. Every birth is different, and every woman’s experience and telling of her story will be unique.” –Marcie Macari
“My baby is healthy and innately knows when to begin labor. My body knows how to birth by instinct. My mind has released all fears and trusts birth. I am enjoying this process and growing through it all.” - Mrs. BWF
- I surrender with confidence.
- I have grown this baby; I will push her out.
- My job is to simply relax and allow the birth to happen.
- My body has a wide open space for my baby to descend.
- My body is indeed beautifully and wonderfully made
- 300,000 women will be giving birth with you today. Relax and breathe and do nothing else.
- I will breathe slowly and deeply to relax my muscles and bring oxygen to our baby.
- My body is opening wide to let my baby out.
- My body is not broken. I can do this.
- Soon I will meet you, baby.
- I am a strong, beautiful woman. I accept myself completely, here and now.
- I am completely relaxed and comfortable.
- I trust that my body knows exactly what it’s doing.
- I visualize my baby moving gently through the birth canal.
- My baby is happy and healthy.
- My courage and patience will send my baby into my arms.
- My baby is born with pure pleasure.
- I have courage, faith and patience.
- I am in complete control of what is going on around me.
- My body will give birth on it’s own time.
- I give birth in safety and solitude.
- I follow my instincts and give birth in the way I desire.
- I am ready and prepared for my birthing experience.
- I visualize myself handling everything beautifully.
- Everything is going right.
- I feel the strong waves of labour and know that everything is normal and progressing.
- I relax my mind and muscles.
- Keep breathing slow and even. Inhale peace, exhale tension.
- Keep my mind on acceptance and surrender.
- My body will give birth in its own time.
- I love my baby and I am doing all that is necessary to bring about a healthy birth.
- I am ready and prepared for childbirth.
- I see myself handling everything beautifully.
- Each contraction produces a healthy, positive pain that I can handle.
- I deserve this wonderful birth!